St. Stanislaus Parish was established in 1886 by some of the first Polish immigrants who arrived in Lake County, Indiana. The East Chicago area, in particular, was their choice because of its proximity to Chicago. It held the promise of possibilities. This location was a key for transformational access by rail or sail on Lake Michigan. It was a developing industrial center. As the number of East Chicago Catholic worshipers increased, Father Henry Koblinski obtained permission from the Bishop of the Fort Wayne Diocese to build a Church in the city. Once the church was constructed, the need for instructing the young was the center of their focus. In 1901, a four-classroom, coal stove heated structure was completed. The Sisters of St. Joseph of the Third Order of St. Francis came to staff the school. In that first year, 230 students were enrolled to learn about God, country, their place in the world and their Polish heritage.
By 1910, the Church and School were deemed too small for the growing number of Catholics in East Chicago. The parishioners first built a new church with additional classrooms on the second floor. Soon this was also too small and construction began on a new school.
St. Stanislaus School opened in 1922, fully equipped with a gymnasium that would double as a community center with two bowling lanes, pool and billiards, and a 300 seat auditorium. The faculty was formed by 10 educators and the building consisted of 10 classrooms dedicated to teaching not only high quality education but good manners and most importantly, a faith centered life. The school became recognized as a nurturing place for excellent education that would produce honest, intelligent citizens.